the lady morello (cherry cocktail)
You guys, I need a drink.
Well, at least I sure did need one this last week and I sure did make one (or two, hic!) for myself in response to said need.
(Note to self: refrain from drafting blog posts immediately after recipe testing cocktails. Except for this time. Heep!)
It came to this, you see. Pedestrian TV (they who have deemed this bloggie one of the Finalists in the Ultrabook Blogster Awards for the second year running) have asked me what my favourite recipe to make in under five minutes is. Except I can’t make anything in under five minutes that isn’t instant noodles. Or microwave popcorn. Or cheese toasties.
I can, however, make a mean cocktail in far less than that amount of time (and down it in whatever seconds remain).
So cheers to the almost weekend, to me maybe having my living situation sorted out and to the fact that I still have enough ingredients in the fridge to make myself another round.
(And if you so deign, head over and vote for me in the awards. Or not… Either way, I insist you make yourself a drink.)
- 1 small mandarin (or half a large one)
- 10 morello cherries (from a jar or tin)
- 30ml liquid from the cherry jar or tin
- 30ml cranberry juice
- 30 ml vanilla simple syrup (or just a small dash of vanilla extract)
- 30ml maple syrup
- 4 dashes bitters
- 60ml white rum
- lots of ice
- cracked pepper
- Peel and juice the mandarin into a cocktail shaker (or if you can’t be bothered, just toss it in).
- Pop six of the morello cherries into the cocktail shaker and muddle together with the mandarin juice.
- Add the morello liquid, cranberry juice, vanilla, maple syrup, bitters, rum and ice.
- Shake like a crazy person for at least a minute.
- Pop three cherries into the bottom of each glass, strain the contents of the shaker between them evenly and top with a twist of cracked pepper. Loveit.